Practice- and community-based research and initiatives
- YSPH’s Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences faculty partner with many local and global organizations to develop and implement pre- and post-natal community-based research projects targeting HIV prevention and group prenatal care, as well as breastfeeding and mother and child nutrition.
- A component of the Community Alliance for Research and Engagement’s Racial and Ethnic Approaches for Community Health (REACH) project is focused on reducing the racial disparities in breastfeeding among Black women in New Haven.
- YSPH collaborates on several pragmatic randomized controlled trials to improve the implementation of maternal mental health services and suicide prevention services, alongside local health systems and the communities they serve in Nepal and Pakistan.
- YSPH faculty collaborate on a nationwide quality improvement initiative to improve the quality and uptake of maternal and neonatal health services in Ethiopia.
- YSPH has conducted research on the prevalence of oral disease (dental caries, periodontitis) in pregnant women and young children in Bhutan, with research dissemination and information gathering from clinicians, district and federal government agencies, early childhood care center staff and others for program and policy development.
- The ELEVATE Policy Lab is dedicated to addressing mental health as a crucial public-sector strategy to interrupt intergenerational poverty