The Yale EIP RESP-NET team is conducting population-based surveillance for laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 associated hospitalizations in southern Connecticut. Yale EIP is one of 13 sites conducting COVID-NET surveillance across the country. Weekly hospitalization rates from COVID-NET are available on CDC’s website.
In March 2020, in response to the outbreak of novel Coronavirus 2019 disease, EIPs launched COVID-NET. Leveraging the FluSurv-NET and RSV-NET surveillance platforms already in existence, participating COVID-NET sites conduct SARS-CoV-2 surveillance to investigate the characteristics and burden of children and adults hospitalized with SARS-CoV-2.
Goals & Objectives
- Estimate overall and age-specific COVID-19-associated hospitalization rates in a timely manner (e.g., daily and/or weekly).
- Estimate overall and age-specific COVID-19-associated ICU admission rates and in-hospital mortality rates in all ages.
- Describe the characteristics, clinical features, and clinical course (e.g., severe illness and SARS-CoV-2-associated complications) of persons hospitalized with SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Describe laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 and RSV hospitalizations by COVID-19 vaccination status among patients eligible to be vaccinated.
- Describe maternal COVID-19 vaccination status among children up to 2 years old hospitalized with COVID-19.
- Assess risk factors for COVID-19-associated complications among hospitalized cases.
- Utilize hospitalization data and other clinical data sources to estimate the national disease burden of COVID-19.
Kimberly Yousey-Hindes, MPH, CPH
Program Manager, RESP-NET
- Daewi Kim
- Emily Zmek
- Hazhia Sorosindi
- Julia Desiato
- Julie Plano
- Noelle Labozzo
- Melanie Szahaj