Research & Publications
- School of Nursing
Dr. Meyer is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Public Health at Yale. She is a physician with board certification in Internal Medicine, Addiction Medicine and Infectious Diseases. Her clinical work has included a weekly HIV clinic at York Correctional Institution for Women, the only carceral facility for women in the state of Connecticut, which informs her investigative work. She has received formal training in clinical research methods through two post-doctoral fellowships, one in Investigative Infectious Diseases and one in Interdisciplinary HIV Prevention Training at the Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS, and a Master of Science in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health. Her research focuses on HIV prevention and treatment in women, addressing justice system involvement, substance use disorders, and intimate partner violence. She has published in a broad array of peer-reviewed journals, collaborating with interdisciplinary teams of scientists, and has been continuously funded by the NIH and other federal, industry, and foundational sources for over a decade.
Education & Training
- MSYale School of Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology (2014)
- FellowshipCenter for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS (2012)
- FellowshipYale University School of Medicine (2011)
- ResidencyNY Presbyterian Hospital at Columbia (2008)
- MDUniversity of Connecticut School of Medicine (2005)
- BADartmouth College, Anthropology (2000)
- The Criminal Justice System and Substance Use in WomenZoom 2022Clinical Trials Network Webinar
- HIV/AIDS: Where are we now?Zoom 2022Community Hope Center Learning Series
- Alcohol use and PrEP perception among women in LiberiaMinneapolis, MN, United States 2022International Women’s and Children’s Health and Gender (InWomen’s) Group
- Interacting with People with Substance Use Disorders: Continuing the ConversationZoom 2022Connecticut Judicial Branch Staff Training
- Interacting with People with Substance Use DisordersMicrosoft Teams 2022Connecticut Judicial Branch Staff Training.
- Oral presentation: Infectious Disease Diversity, Equity, and Antiracism (ID2EA): A Dedicated Curriculum for Infectious Disease ProfessionalsZoom 2021IDSA Annual Meeting
- Attitudes and Readiness for HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Therapy among a Community-based Sample of Women in Liberia.zoom 2021Connecticut Infectious Disease Society (CIDS) Annual Meeting
- COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy and associated factors among people with HIV in the United States: findings from a national survey.Zoom 2021International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science.
- Willingness to be vaccinated for COVID-19 among people with HIV in the United States: results from a national survey.Zoom 2021International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science. Virtual.
- Oral presentation: Development and Efficacy of a PrEP Decision Aid for Women with Substance Use DisordersZoom 202113th International Women’s and Children’s Health and Gender (InWomen’s) Group.
- Alcohol use and PrEP perception among women in LiberiaMinneapolis, MN, United States 2021International Women’s and Children’s Health and Gender (InWomen’s) Group
- Oral presentation: 5053 A Novel PrEP Demonstration Project for Justice-Involved Women and Members of their Risk NetworksMarch 2020 (Cancelled because of COVID-19, rescheduled to virtual presentation April 2021). 2021Academic Correctional Health Conference
- Oral presentation: Can an interactive aid modify decisional preference for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among women seeking domestic violence services? description of a novel collaborative program and preliminary findings.Chicago, Illinois. March 2020 (Cancelled because of COVID-19, rescheduled to virtual presentation April 2021). 2021National Conference on Health and Domestic Violence (NCHDV); Innovative/Promising Practice Program Report
- Tolerating Harm: With and Without COVID-19 in Detention.Zoom 2021Petrie Flom Center Seminar Series: COVID-19 and The Law: The Impact of Social Disparities on Responses to COVID-19
- Multi-Stakeholder Collaborative Learning Models to Address COVID-19 in Prisons and Jails.Virtual conference 2021IAS COVID-19 Conference: Prevention
- Gaps in Care for HIV, HCV, and Substance Use Disorderszoom 2021New England AIDS Education Training Center Conference on "Triple Threat"
- “Where Health Disparities Intersect with HIV Prevention for Women.”zoom 2020Grand Rounds.
- How Sex, Drugs, and Violence Intersect with HIV Prevention for WomenDurham, NC, United States 2020RTI Global Gender Center Lecture
- How Sex, Drugs, and Violence Intersect with HIV Prevention for WomenNew Haven, CT, United States 2020Medical Grand Rounds
- COVID-19 in Prisons and JailsNew Haven, CT, United States 2020COVID-19: Law, Economics and Governance
- Oral presentation: Impact of Motherhood Identity on Women’s Substance Use and Engagement in Treatment Across the LifespanHollywood, FL, United States 2020International Women’s and Children’s Health and Gender (InWomen’s) Group.
Honors & Recognition
|Invited Affiliated Faculty||RTI Global Gender Center||2021|
|Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Scholar||Doris Duke Charitable Foundation||2017|
|Fellow||American College of Physicians||2016|
|Awards Program in Clinical Research||Patterson Trust||2014|
|Thornton Award for Clinical Research||Connecticut Infectious Disease Society||2013|
|Virology Fellows Award||Bristol Myers-Squibb||2011|
|Infectious Disease Diversity Equity and Antiracism Committee (ID2EA)||Co-Chair||2022 - Present|
|NIH: HIV/AIDS Intra- and Inter-personal Determinants and Behavioral Interventions Study Section||Ad-hoc reviewer||2022 - Present|
|NICHD||Program Project Grants for HIV Research (P01 Clinical Trial Optional) Special Emphasis Panel RFA-HD-21-023||2022|
|Yale School of Medicine Diversity Committee (Chair, Funding/resources subcommittee)||Member||2021 - Present|
|Academic Consortium on Criminal Justice Health||Board of Directors||2021 - Present|
|New England Journal of Medicine||Reviewer||2020 - Present|
|BMC Public Health||Associate Editor||2020 - 2022|
|International Journal of Drug Policy||Special issue: “Progress and remaining challenges to address infectious diseases and drug-related harms to improve the health of people who use drugs”||2020 - 2021|
|International J Drug Policy||Guest Editor||2020 - Present|
|Yale School of Medicine||ID2EA: Infectious Disease Diversity, Equity, Antiracism Committee||2020 - Present|
|Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (JIAPAC)||Section Editor: Sex and Gender Issues||2019 - Present|
|Channel 8 News||Weekly news segment on COVID-19||2019 - 2022|
|Yale University Program in Addiction Medicine||Faculty Member||2019 - Present|
|Arthur Liman Center for Public Interest Law, Yale Law School||Faculty Member||2017 - Present|
|Yale Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS||Faculty Member||2012 - Present|