Planetary Healthcare Journal Club
A collaboration between the Centre for Sustainable Healthcare in Oxford, University of Toronto Centre for Sustainable Health Systems, and the Yale Program on Healthcare Environmental Sustainability.
- Student-led initiative: Students will identify, read, and present primary research articles focusing on sustainability in healthcare, under the guidance of academics and healthcare practitioners with experience in the field.
- Exploring sustainability in healthcare: Priority should be given to research articles focusing on sustainability within healthcare, but articles that focus on the health effects of climate change and environmental/health justice may also be selected.
- Staying abreast of current literature: Students will prioritize research articles from within the last two years to stay apprised of the most current research and thinking.
- Revisiting classic papers: On occasion, seminal research articles, especially those that have had great impact on the field may also be selected.
- Critical thinking skills: Students will learn how to critically evaluate literature including assessing quality of methods, presence of bias, statistical analyses, strengths and weakness of findings, and to draw independent conclusions from the data presented.
- Building cross disciplinary/geographic networks: These sessions will serve as a hub for cross-disciplinary communication between clinical specialists, scientists, administrators, environmental engineers, and policy experts. We hope they will lead to lasting networks between institutions.
- When/Where: Meetings will be conducted via Zoom from 12-1PM EST/5-6PM BST on the third Wednesday of each month, with a hiatus in July, August, and December for summer and winter breaks.
- Who will present: A student or team of 2-3 student volunteers will present an article at each session. Meetings will consist of a 30-minute presentation on the paper followed by 30 minutes of question and discussion time. Presenting students will be recruited from each of the three institutions on a rotating basis.
- Content: Papers will be posted at least one week prior to each meeting to allow time for participants to read them. An online repository of potential papers will be maintained to aid students with selection.
- June 16th, 2021: Oxford
- September 15th, 2021: Yale
- October 20th, 2021: Toronto
- November 17th, 2021: Oxford
- January 19th, 2022: Yale
- February 16th, 2022: Toronto
- March 16th, 2022: Oxford
- April 20th, 2022: Yale
- May 18th, 2022: Toronto
- June 15th, 2022: Oxford
For more information, please contact Yale Physicians for Social Responsibility student interest group lead Sadie Meller.