Young Scholars Summer Program in Biostatistics and Clinical Research
Young Scholars 2022 Program Announcement
Information and application materials for the summer 2022 Young Scholars program is now available. We will accept applications only from students residing in Connecticut who would be able to attend an in-person program on the Yale campus in New Haven should it be safe to do so; if not, we will offer the program online. We will make this decision closer to the program start date.
If the program takes place in person, all attendees will need to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including a booster shot). Attendees must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test prior to the start of the program and must agree to be tested during the program if asked to do so. Attendees must also agree to wear a mask if asked by program faculty. A student who does not intend to comply with these conditions should not apply to the program.
In collaboration with clinical researchers, biostatisticians at the Yale Center for Analytical Sciences (YCAS) design research studies and use statistical methods to address critical problems in medicine and public health. Our YCAS Young Scholars intensive summer program provides promising high school students entering 11th and 12th grade, who excel in math, with the opportunity to learn about the work of biostatisticians in an academic environment. During this two week program, we introduce students to basic statistical methods and study designs used in medical research. We also provide instruction in “R,” a computer programming language for statistical analyses. Students work in teams and use real health science data to address study questions and develop a final presentation of their work.
Please follow the links for application details and additional information for teachers, students, and parents.
Program Times & Dates
- Application and Teacher Recommendations Deadline:
Date: April 5, 2022
- Information Session for Accepted Students and Their Parents/Guardians:
Date: Monday, July 18, 2022; 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Icebreaker Session for Accepted Students:
Date: Friday July 22, 2022; 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Location: To Be Determined
- Program Dates:
Monday, July 25-Friday, August 5, 2022
Location: To Be Determined
- Program Days and Times:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.*
*Eastern Daylight Time
- Student Presentations and Presentation of Certificates:
Date: Friday, August 5, 2022; 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Parents and Friends are Invited!
- Rising 11th and 12th graders (preference given to rising seniors)
- Strong math skills and academic record
- Interest in learning about statistics, computer programming and medical research
- be motivated team players
- have transportation to and from the program if held in person
- agree to abide by all program rules
- be able to attend pre-program meetings on Monday July 18 and Friday July 22, 2022
- have a parent or guardian able to attend the Information Session for accepted students on Monday July 18, 2022
- be able to make a full-time commitment to the program