Research & Publications
Dr. Hecht’s research focuses on global health policy and financing. In recent years, his research has concentrated on the costs, financing, and cost-effectiveness of actual and prospective investments in Hepatitis B and C, AIDS, malaria, vaccine-preventable diseases, and nutrition interventions. The challenges and policy responses to declining donor financing of health, and the corresponding need to mobilize increased domestic funding, has also been a recurring theme in his research. Projects have covered more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Clients have included the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria; the Gavi Vaccine Alliance; UNAIDS; Unitaid; the Tata Education Trusts; Nutrition International; and others. Previously, Dr. Hecht’s research in global health also covered policies and financing to stimulate expanded investment in research and development for new drugs, vaccines, diagnostics, and other products to meet the priority needs of low and middle income countries; innovative financing mechanisms for global health; and reform of national health insurance mechanisms on the road to Universal Health Coverage. Dr. Hecht has published his research results in a wide range of journals including the Lancet, Lancet Global Health, Health Policy and Planning, Health Affairs, PLoS, and the Journal of Global Health.
Public Health Interests
Global Health; Health Care Financing; Health Policy; HIV/AIDS; Infectious Diseases; Substance Use, Addiction; Vaccines
- Countries transitioning from health aid: we need a common research agenda and mechanisms for joint actionRobert Hecht and Sara Bennett, “Countries transitioning from health aid: we need a common research agenda and mechanisms for joint action”, Health Affairs, November 4, 2016.
- Reorienting health aid to meet post-2015 global health challenges: a case study of Sweden as a donorGavin Yamey, Jesper Sundewall, Helen Saxenian, Robert Hecht, Keely Jordan, Marco Schäferhoff, Christina Schrade, Cécile Deleye, Milan Thomas, Nathan Blanchet, Lawrence Summers, and Dean Jamison, “Reorienting health aid to meet post-2015 global health challenges: a case study of Sweden as a donor”, Oxford Review of Economic Policy 2016, 32(1): 122-146.
- Financing Vaccine R&D – Gaps and Opportunities for InnovationWilson, Paul, and Hecht, Robert. “Financing Vaccine R&D – Gaps and Opportunities for Innovation”. Global Forum Update on Research for Health 4. Global Forum for Health Research. Geneva. October 2007.
- AIDS Vaccine Research Today: A Deeper Partnership between CountriesHecht, Robert, Julie Becker, and Eva Roca. “AIDS Vaccine Research Today: A Deeper Partnership between Countries”, HealthLinks 138, April-May 2006.
- Making Health Care AccountableHecht, Robert, Amie Batson, and Logan Brenzel. “Making Health Care Accountable”, Finance and Development 41:1, March 2004.
- Making AIDS Part of the Global Development AgendaHecht, Robert, Olusoji Adeyi, and Iris Semini. “Making AIDS Part of the Global Development Agenda”, Finance and Development 39:1, March 2002.
- Poverty, Debt, and AIDS: a ToolkitAdeyi, Olusoji, Robert Hecht, and Agnes Soucat. “Poverty, Debt, and AIDS: a Toolkit”. Geneva: UNAIDS Best Practice series, 2001.
- Swimming Against the Tide: Strategies for Improving Equity in HealthBirdsall, Nancy and Hecht, Robert. “Swimming Against the Tide: Strategies for Improving Equity in Health”, HRO Working Paper, May 1995. The World Bank
- Urban Health: An Emerging Priority for the World BankHecht, Robert. “Urban Health: An Emerging Priority for the World Bank”, in Trudy Harpham and Marcel Tanner, Urban Health in Developing Countries. London: Earthscan Publications, 1995.
- Rethinking the Government’s Role in HealthHecht, Robert, and Musgrove, Philip. “Rethinking the Government’s Role in Health”, Finance and Development 30:3, September 1993.
- Investing in Health – The World Development Report 1993Jamison, Dean, Robert Hecht, and others. “Investing in Health – The World Development Report 1993”. The World Bank. June 1993.
- Accelerating progress toward the health, nutrition, and population-related Millennium Development GoalsWagstaff, Adam, Mariam Claeson, Robert Hecht, and others. Accelerating progress toward the health, nutrition, and population-related Millennium Development Goals, World Bank, April 2003
- Achieving the MDGs: A Case Study of AIDS and Communicable DiseasesHecht, Robert, Susan Stout, and others. Achieving the MDGs: A Case Study of AIDS and Communicable Diseases, World Bank, September 2002.
- Argentina: Facing the Challenge of Health Insurance ReformHecht, Robert, and others. Argentina: Facing the Challenge of Health Insurance Reform, The World Bank, 1997.
- Zimbabwe: Financing Health ServicesHecht, Robert, and others. Zimbabwe: Financing Health Services. The World Bank. A Country Study, 1992.
- Lessons Learned through a Decade of Integrated Rural Development in Sri LankaHecht, Robert. Lessons Learned through a Decade of Integrated Rural Development in Sri Lanka, World Bank Sector Study, 1986.