Research & Publications
Marney A. White, PhD, MS, is a clinical psychologist, specializing in eating and weight disorders. In addition to her appointment as Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences in the Yale School of Public Health, she holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Psychiatry (Yale School of Medicine). Professor White's research focus is on weight and eating problems, with particular emphasis on the interaction of tobacco use with eating disorders and weight concerns. Current projects include curriculum-based interventions to improve student mental health on college campuses.
At YSPH she teaches courses in Questionnaire Development (psychometrics) and Behavior Change, and serves as the SBS Director of Online Education. She also teaches the undergraduate course in Epidemiology and Public Health at Yale College, and Biostatistics in the Yale National Clinician Scholars Program.
Professor White's innovative "Self Care" course (Health Behavior Change: From Evidence to Action) is now publicly available through Coursera.
Education & Training
- MSYale School of Public Health, Chronic Disease Epidemiology (2009)
- Postdoctoral FellowshipYale University School of Medicine (2005)
- PhDLouisiana State University, Clinical Psychology (2003)
- MAJames Madison University (1998)
- BSUniversity of Virginia (1991)
- Keynote address: “Self-Care for Health Professionals.” International Healthcare Forum: Connecting World Health. TAFE-SA. Adelaide, Australia.Adelaide, Australia 2021September 2021. Invited talk: “Self-Care for Health Professionals.” International Healthcare Forum: Connecting World Health. TAFE-SA. Adelaide, Australia.
- PresentationTaormina, Italy 2015
- PresentationSalzburg, Austria 2010
- DSM-IV Psychiatric Disorder Co-morbidity in Binge Eating DisorderMontreal, Canada 2009
- PresentationCancún, Mexico 2009
- PaperVancouver, Canada 2005
Honors & Recognition
|#3 World Expert in Binge Eating Disorder||Expertscape||2021|
|World Expert in Feeding and Eating Disorders (top 1%)||Expertscape||2021|
|Distinguished Teaching Award||Yale School of Public Health||2020|
|Distinguished Teaching Award||Yale School of Public Health||2014|