Research & Publications
Dr. Khera is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Section of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Yale School of Medicine, and of Biostatistics in the Section on Health Informatics at the Yale School of Public Health. He is a general cardiologist at the Yale-New Haven Hospital, a data science, health policy, and outcomes researcher at the Yale School of Medicine, and an investigator at Yale’s Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation. He leads the Cardiovascular Data Science (CarDS) Lab, which is a multidisciplinary group focusing on data-driven discovery in cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Khera is a graduate of the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences where he was a National Young Investigator Scholarship awardee. During his internal medicine residency training at the University of Iowa and his cardiology fellowship training at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dr. Khera received the American College of Cardiology’s Young Investigator Award and the Francois Abboud Young Investigator Award, in addition to being inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society for his academic accomplishments. Dr. Khera also received the Jeremiah Stamler Distinguished Young Investigator Research Award for 2021.
Dr. Khera’s research focuses on evaluating the quality of care and patient outcomes across hospitals in the United States and identifying targets for interventions aimed at improving the outcomes of patients. His work has specifically addressed the vast variation in adherence to evidence-based therapy, uptake of novel care practices and treatments, and rigorous evaluation of national health policies and their effects on hospital practices and patient outcomes. Dr. Khera’s work increasingly leverages digital data sources, including the electronic health record, electrocardiography, and cardiovascular imaging, with applications of informatics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to evaluate the care patients receive and to develop precision care solutions. The work he has led has been published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), BMJ, Circulation, JAMA Internal Medicine, Nature Communications, and JAMA Cardiology, among others.
More details on his work can be found at www.cards-lab.org.
Education & Training
- FellowshipUT Southwestern Medical Center (2020)
- MSUT Southwestern Medical Center (2019)
- Clinical ScholarUT Southwestern Medical Center (2019)
- ResidencyUniversity of Iowa Carver College of Medicine (2016)
- InternshipUniversity of Iowa Carver College of Medicine (2014)
- MBBSAll India Institute of Medical Sciences (2011)
- Future Direction on Integration of Evidence-based Practice and Health-informatics to Achieve Cardiovascular Quality and OutcomesAmerican Heart Association Quality of Care and Outcomes Research (QCOR) Meeting 2022
- Personalizing Clinical Trial Interpretation Through Computational PhenomapVirtual Presentation 2021
- Biased Algorithms: Is AI Perpetuating Biases?American Heart Association Virtual Scientific Sessions 2021
- Integrating Data From Health Tech Devices/Tools Into Clinical WorkflowAHA Virtual Scientific Sessions, 2021 2021
- Personalizing Clinical Trial Interpretation Through Computational PhenomapsML4H Seminar 2021
Honors & Recognition
|Clinical Scientist Development Award||Doris Duke Charitable Foundation||2022|
|Jeremiah Stamler Distinguished Young Investigator Research Award||2021|
|Young Investigator Award||American College of Cardiology||2019|
|Young Investigator Award||American Heart Association Resuscitation Science||2018|
|Francois M. Abboud Internal Medicine Research Award||University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine||2015|
|Outstanding Junior Resident in Internal Medicine||University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine||2015|
|Quality of Care Outcomes and Research (QCOR) Young Investigator Award, Finalist||American Heart Association||2015|
|Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society||2015|
|American Heart Association QCOR Early Career Committee||Member||2021 - Present|
|American Heart Association QCOR Specialty Conference Program Committee||Member||2021 - Present|
|American Heart Association Data Science and Precision Medicine Science Subcommittee||Faculty Member||2021 - Present|
|American College of Cardiology Digital Strategies Committee||Ad-hoc Member||2021 - Present|
|American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Task Force for Performance measures.||Board Member||2018 - 2020|
|American Heart Association Emergency Cardiovascular Committee||Board Member||2017 - Present|