Organizational Culture Change
Leadership is essential in the establishment of effective organizational culture to drive achievement of health targets. Despite evidence on the link between organizational culture and patient outcomes, whether and how organizational culture can be positively influenced was unknown. Research by our GHLI team is filling this gap. We develop and evaluate prospective culture change interventions, with focus on team-based leadership among teams of healthcare professionals, with the goal of improving evidence-based practices and patient outcomes. Our research has shown that we can positively influencing hospital organizational culture, demonstrating the importance of team-based leadership in driving change.
- How guiding coalitions promote positive culture change in hospitals: a longitudinal mixed methods interventional study. E. H. Bradley, A. L. Brewster, Z. McNatt, E. L. Linnander, E. Cherlin, H. Fosburgh, H. H. Ting and L. A. Curry; BMJ Qual Saf 2018; 27:218-225.
- Influencing organisational culture to improve hospital performance in care of patients with acute myocardial infarction: a mixed-methods intervention study. L. A. Curry, M. A. Brault, E. L. Linnander, Z. McNatt, A. L. Brewster, E. Cherlin, S. P. Flieger, H. H. Ting and E. H. Bradley; BMJ Qual Saf 2018; 27:207-217.
- Development and Psychometric Properties of a Scale to Measure Hospital Organizational Culture for Cardiovascular Care. E. H. Bradley, A. L. Brewster, H. Fosburgh, E. J. Cherlin and L. A. Curry; Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2017; 10:3
- Organizational culture change in U.S. hospitals: a mixed methods longitudinal intervention study. L. A. Curry, E. L. Linnander, A. L. Brewster, H. Ting, H. M. Krumholz and E. H. Bradley; Implement Sci 2015; 10:29.
- What distinguishes top-performing hospitals in acute myocardial infarction mortality rates? A qualitative study. L. A. Curry, E. Spatz, E. Cherlin, J. W. Thompson, D. Berg, H. H. Ting, C. Decker, H. M. Krumholz and E. H. Bradley; Ann Intern Med 2011; 154:384-90.
Leadership Saves Lives Toolkit
- Welcome to the Leadership Saves Lives Toolkit
- LSL Results
- Measuring Organizational Culture
- Essential Tasks of Guiding Coalitions
- Early Identification and In-house Follow up on Patients with AMI
- Integration of Pharmacy Expertise